120 East Baltimore Street
Suite 1700
Baltimore, Maryland 21202

Andrew D. Levy
Stuart Levine

Online Form: Here
Telephone: 410-962-1030
Facsimile: 410-385-0869
Email: Holzheid@mdinterestrateclass.com

Q: What is a class action?

A: A class action is a lawsuit in which one or more persons, called Class Representatives, sue on behalf of a group of people with similar claims.  All of these people together are called the “Class” or “Class Members.”  One court resolves the issues for the whole class at once.  This case has been filed as a class action, but there will not officially be a Class until the named Plaintiffs file a Motion for Class Certification and the Court rules in their favor and certifies the Class.

Q: Am I a member of the Class?

A: The proposed Class consists of all Maryland taxpayers who (1) were Maryland residents at the time they paid income tax to both Maryland and another state in tax years from January 1, 2006 through December 30, 2011, (2) did not receive full credit on their Maryland taxes for the income tax paid elsewhere, and (3) filed a protective claim for a refund of that money within three years of filing their tax returns.

Q: Do I have to pay a lawyer to represent me?

A: The firms Brown, Goldstein & Levy, LLP and Stuart Levine, LLC are representing the Class Representatives and the proposed Class.  These lawyers will seek to have the court approve them as Class Counsel to represent the entire Class.  If you want to be represented by your own lawyer, you may hire one at your own expense.

Q: How will the lawyers be paid?

A: In the event that the court rules in favor of the Class or this suit settles, Class Counsel will submit an application requesting that the Court award them a reasonable percentage of the total amount of damages recovered by the Class.  Depending on the terms of the resolution of the case, Class Counsel may also request that the Court order the Defendants to pay Class Counsel’s reasonable fees and expenses.  In that event, those fees and expenses would be credited against the percent awarded to the lawyers out of the Class recovery.

Q: Do I have to do anything to show that I do or don’t want to be a Class Member?

A: No, not right now.  If the Court grants the Motion for Class Certification that Class Counsel will file, you will receive notice in the mail of your rights as a Class Member and any steps you should take to either be part of the Class or to opt out.

Q: I received a letter from the Comptroller stating that my amended return has been processed, and that I can write a letter to the Comptroller to protest the interest rate applied to my refund. What should I do?

A: We recommend that you contact your lawyer or accountant.  We cannot give legal advice to people we do not formally represent.  We will consult with the Class representatives with respect to matters applicable to the Class as a whole, but we will not be providing advice to individual Class members.

Q: Whom do I contact if I have more questions?

A: You can contact us here.